Sunday, July 5, 2009

Pool shack, but slightly less shack-ish

Last week, keeping in mind that the pool was coming along promisingly, I decided the day had arrived to paint the pool shack. Before I went to work, you may remember from previous footage that it looked like this: and also this, and this but it doesn't look like that anymore. I pretty much executed the world's sloppiest (and possibly a personal worst) paint job in Glidden Parchment White, which is slightly off-white (so as not to be blinding). I started off doing what you're supposed to do when painting outside: sanding and scraping. After a round or so of that, I sprayed everything off with the hose, and that's where the trouble started. More paint kept flaking off, and this made me mad. So rather than doing things the right way (which may have involved taking the whole thing down to bare wood) I went to Costco for a hotdog and a Very Berry Sundae. By the time I came home, the shack was pretty well dried out, so I started painting, making sure to apply it good and thick.

Considering that half the shack is rotted anyway, I'll be happy if it's still standing two years from now, paint job aside. Anyway, I'm quite sure you'll agree that it looks much better now. Our neighbors certainly do!



4 comments:

  1. look how beautiful that pool is!! good job on the shack...it's lucky that pictures are very forgiving in the details :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you been in for a swim? Looks inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the shack looks great and the pool looks swimable in! fantastic job!! oh how i wish i could sit in the shade of that shack on a nice oregon summer day sipping margaritas with you...

    re: your last entry
    i'm so glad you burned a black widow. peta would have a fit, but i think it's frickin awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW the pool looks great! Very nice Jo. From what I can see the paint job looks good. Good work.

    ReplyDelete