Monday, August 31, 2009

I love freebies

Todd's aunt is moving to Hawaii, and is consequently clearing out her home in Portland. This means that there's McD family stuff headed our way. I am most excited about this amazing gen-yoo-ine antique steamer trunk. Given the age, it's in very good shape (and still has nifty little organizer inserts that I'm sure I will make use of soon). I decided to use it as my night stand, as I go about duplicating the room that the June or July BHG blatantly ripped off from my brain. If this picture looks familiar, that's because I have a white duvet and antique botanical seashell prints and blue walls and random oceanic paraphernalia littering my bedroom! I couldn't believe it when I saw that page.


They did, however, give me an idea for a black headboard, which I am still designing. If you're confused about the trunk connection, you have a good reason. While there's no trunk in that picture, there is antique stuff, and so I'm working with what I've got.

I also fixed something that's been bothering me for two years and nine months. I, having never purchased my own dust ruffle before, didn't know they came in different lengths. So I picked the wrong length, and have since had to engage in a war with getting the dust ruffle to look decent every time I rotate the mattress. It's always an ugly thing, and it's never ended well. I recently discovered that there's such a thing as iron-on hemming, so I bought some, and voila! The right length!
I also decided to take the plunge and hang a few pictures in my office. They look a little funny where they are, because the big one really should have gone over my couch, but then I wouldn't have been able to look at it. So the big one's over the computer, and the little one is over the couch. It's a little weird, but it works.


Lastly, this is kind of random, but I found this awesome piece of scrapbooking paper and I'm going to frame it. It's this sweet map of Europe. (You can just call me the queen of cheap art.) And I have some little cut dahlias in a bud vase. They're cute, and deserve a picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment