Saturday, September 20, 2014

Salvaged Wood Delivery

It's not every day that your contractor delivers a trailer full of wood for your salvaging, reclaiming, pilfering convenience. Or that he helps you pick through the wood (which was on its way to the dump in his trash trailer). I think he thinks I'm crazy, though he did note that replacing this redwood deck cost over $400 in lumber, which means I hit the jackpot: A ton of 2x6 redwood that's mostly in pretty good and perfectly weathered condition.
 Also salvaged the same weekend from a local lumber yard (where I know the guy on duty did think I was nuts for fishing out scraps and asking how much they were). I think he felt sorry for me on account of my evident mental instability and gave them to me for free. That piece of true 4x4 is for my kitchen table (currently in development).
 He saw scrap lumber, I saw lamps. Potentially very bug-infested lamps, so Todd bug bombed them in the pool shack to ensure no creepy-crawlies came to make their home in my guest room. The texture on these is super rough and really awesome.
 I've made it as far as removing a ton of old rusty nails and screws from the wood and giving it a good scrubbing to remove loose dirt, moss and other substances of which I have no need to know the nature.
 One other suuuuper exciting thing about the above picture: SAWHORSES!! I bought some folding aluminum sawhorses at Lowe's a few weeks ago and LOVE them. I'd been needing sawhorses for a long time and decided that this was a good time to make the investment of $34, knowing there was a lot of baseboard painting in my near future. It was a good call.

No comments:

Post a Comment