Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The past month

I've been procrastinating on catching up, because I have a feeling it's going to take a long time. In the past month since I last posted, I spent several days in LA with Cat, then my mom came to visit and we worked on a project (pix to follow). It's just been a hectic few weeks.

In order to get ready for my mom (and the impending string of guests this summer...if you want in, you better get your name on the list soon!!), I dealt with the rest of the upstairs. Got the bathroom as cute and clean as possible, stashed and trashed the rest of the clutter in the upstairs bedroom, added a few chairs that are serving as nightstands for the time being, vacuumed everything....sorry this is out of order.



There was plenty to be attacked outside too. We spent the better part of the Saturday after I got back from California and before Mom flew in cleaning up the circular drive. Here's the outside video, pool patio included at the request of Cat and Michelle.



Circular drive cleaning included bagging boatloads of leaves, digging up a flowerbed to rid it of the ubiquitous grape hyacinths that infest our yard, sweeping, then hosing down everything. I should have taken a before shot to show you how disastrous it was, but I didn't. Upon finishing, this is what it looked like. I continue to be amazed at how much work things are. This stupid little flowerbed (not pictured) that's maybe 4 feet deep and 10 feet wide (it's right below the window all the way to the right) took 4 hours to dig through, break up, de-bulb, and smooth out. It's nuts! No wonder people only play the let's-buy-a-fixer-upper game once. After that, you learn your lesson!

The pool is coming along slowly, if at all. The water is still cloudy, but a much more swimmable-looking aqua color rather than underwater forest green. But that was the last major improvement, and it happened a few weeks ago. There hasn't been much notable progress since then. I confess, I am getting rather impatient. We've had a lot of gorgeous hot days, and that pools seems to taunt me about it.

For a number of reasons, but mostly because of a very busy upcoming summer between traveling and guests, Todd and I are feeling very satisfied waiting until fall to start the kitchen remodel.

No comments:

Post a Comment