Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Upstairs Bathroom Almost Done!

"Almost" is somewhat relative around here, and that probably goes for most renovations. But when all you're missing is a door (pfft, optional), some baseboard, a light fixture and something to cover the attic access, then my friend, I believe you're at "almost."

Anyway, here's what the upstairs bathroom, a project a year and a half in the making, looks like now.

 The gorgeous tub with a lovely view.
Two-story cubbies for necessary items.
 That'd be the attic access that I'd like to build a shelf insert for, but again, priorities. Right now, just a door would be fine.
 I suppose we'll have to figure out how to provide some privacy, since that window is huge.
And here's the vanity and sink, finally installed!!!! (There aren't enough exclamation points in the world to make this glorious development.) I'm so happy with how it came out. The vanity is from Faucets Direct and it's pretty solid. The glides seem a bit cheap, but they won't be getting tons of use.

It was literally the only cheapish vanity I could find that looked even remotely close to the freestanding furniture look I wanted. The alternative (in an alternate universe) was a $1600 Kohler model, which was lovely, but painfully priced. Hours of digging turned up this gem, and I'm very happy with it.
The sink is also from Faucets Direct. It makes a bit of gurgling noise when it drains, but it looks gorgeous. So glad we went with a vessel for upstairs; it's a very understated statement piece. (Yep, I know what I just wrote.)
To make the faucet handles high enough, Trevor built a box out of the same slate the vanity's topped with. It sits on top of that. We could have positioned them on the outside of the sink bowl, but I think that looks kind of weird, or would have for this setup.
One more :)
These are the vanity pullouts. I'm not sure how I feel about them from a storage standpoint, but again...guest bathroom...don't have to use it...whatever.
This is the wall facing the vanity. The roof slopes down, but at least you don't almost hit your head (anymore) when you get up from the toilet.
Yep, plenty of headroom there. You'll note we're still missing the actual door to the room (details) and a transition piece, which I need to make out of salvaged wood from elsewhere in the house.
I love how clean and modern it came out. We've considered moving upstairs when it's finished because we like it so much, but then I think about the actual moving part, and how we would probably not hire movers to do any of it for us, and .... I reconsider. 

Incidentally, just to remind you what this bathroom used to look like, I'll leave you with this. Keep in mind that this house somehow photographs a million times better than how it actually looks, which in this case, was dreadful. You can read more about the old upstairs bathroom if you dare. 
Does this look cramped to you? That's because my back was against the wall and it was the widest shot I could get...this bathroom was meant for hobbits and designed by idiots.
Not that I'm bitter. If it wasn't such a demented layout in the first place, I never would have ended up with that dream you saw earlier!

No comments:

Post a Comment