Thursday, August 1, 2013

Fine-Tuning the Downstairs Bathroom

As you may or may not remember, we gutted the downstairs bathroom four and a half years ago. It was one of the first projects we tackled (along with refinishing the floors downstairs and replacing some exterior doors. Since we moved back almost three months ago, I've been messing with it again. It went from ice blue to white since the blue hadn't worn very well in the three years we were gone. I framed the mirror last weekend and hung shelves the weekend before that.

I've been wanting to do this project since we first bought the light fixture years ago. I never liked the frosted glass sconce covers but all searches for milk glass turned up nothing. So after waffling on it for a while last Sunday, I decided to take a risk. I grabbed a can of white spray paint and a can of Rustoleum clear gloss spray from my collection and headed outside with my three shades.
After spraying the insides with a few thin coats of white, I sprayed the outsides with the clear gloss. Results are entirely satisfactory, if somewhat unimpressive when photographed. Makes a big difference in the way the light doesn't diffuse as much anymore. I'm really happy with it, and particularly pleased that I didn't ruin anything in the process.
 I also made one other minor but important addition: hand towel hook. You can see in the above picture we really don't have a great space for a bar or loop holder. The switches, floor thermostat and outlet are right in a row, and there's not really another good spot to hang a towel. Then...lightbulb...and now we have a towel hook. I even had a spare copper screw lying around, so the screw matches the hook.
Now, with the exception of some art, it's nearly finished. For now. I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment