Thursday, February 19, 2009

The moment we've been waiting for...

Yesterday afternoon at approximately 5:15 marked a very important moment in our home's renovation history. What happened? Well, the toilet flushed in the downstairs bathroom. Also, the sink and shower were turned on. It was great. Have a look around:



I never in my wildest dreams imagined that I would appreciate having a bathroom so much. Of course, there was a great supporting cast in this tension-wrought drama. I'd like to my dear husband Todd, for handling the situation with grace and..err...innovation, and insisting on heated floors. I'd like to thank my in-laws for letting us use their shower. I'd like to thank the Pottery Barn designers for inspiring the idea, and the good people at Home Depot on North Phoenix Road, Mack from McKenzie's Creations, Stonetech, and myself for making it happen relatively on budget.

And most importantly, great thanks and accolades go to Trevor from Trevor Bruce Construction for spectacular craftsmanship, attention to detail, problem solving, and long hours, and also to Eric, for being an awesome friend and giving up a Saturday to get the plumbing in place and coming back two more times to get everything else installed and looking beautiful. Oh, and Jim from Precision Electric, who installed our lights, added a circuit for the bathroom, and hooked up the floor-heating mat. Without the people who know what they're doing, we probably would still have a small, drafty room that looked like the inside of a shack. Anyway, I know you really came for the pictures, so with no further ado...




There's still have some detail work to do, putting silicon caulk around the edges of the tile, the window and the backsplash, putting up and painting the rest of the trim, cleaning a bit... I got a new color of blue (which is so light it looks like white on the brush) and it looks really good. That's the color in the video. It's Behr Airy. Definitely an improvement over that other color.

I was planning on putting the blog on hiatus for a few weeks because I am starting to get a bit tired of having such a mess of projects always going on, but I can't really do that at this point. Why? Since bathroom renovation is all but finished, I have to tackle my office now. Work has been pretty busy lately, and working on the couch isn't the greatest since I use two computers and an extra monitor and it gets really cluttered. So this weekend, I am hoping to clear out the office and get going on that phase of renovation. Stay tuned for the plan in the office -- it's gonna be GREAT! I think after the office is done, we'll have at least a month before we start on the kitchen, hopefully more.

Last weekend, Home Depot had Behr paint on sale for Presidents' Day, so we bought a five-gallon drum of Swiss Coffee (off-white) and a giant thing of primer with plans of painting the upstairs. Something has to be done about it, and since we're not ready to do a full-scale job of ripping out everything, putting in new drywall, etc. we thought we'd paint and put new carpeting in, so it's at least decent if people come visit.

Also, sorry for the idiotic layout. Blogspot is not letting me rearrange the pictures how I want, and it's making me really mad, so I'm going to quit while I'm ahead. Grr.

2 comments:

  1. i am drooling over your vanity. it's beautiful... just beautiful. when i come to your house i might put a chair in there and just sit and stare at it. k... maybe that's a little much, but you get the point. i like it. a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love it! the tile is wonderful, so white and clean looking. and i second what cat said about the vanity...minus the whole chair thing :)

    can't wait to see it in person.

    ReplyDelete