Monday, November 30, 2009

Christmas Edition

It was my own tradition, growing up, as soon as we returned from the big family Thanksgiving dinner, to decorate my room for Christmas. The past three years, I haven't really had Christmas, at least not in all its month-long crafty sparkly glory. Three years ago, we were getting married, plus there were finals and whatnot. Two years ago, I was working fulltime, which left little time for festivity, and I lived in a 400-sf house, which left little space. Last year, I was half living in my in-laws' house, and half moving, and we didn't put a tree up until two days before Christmas.

So, you see, I have three years of backlogged cheer, plus a WHOLE HOUSE I get to decorate this year. After Thanksgiving dinner, I kept with tradition and headed for the nearest coniferous tree in sight, a small potted Austrian pine I put on the front porch for this express purpose.It's on the left in this picture. Please also note the wreath, (functional) icicle lights, and garland which I made myself with a whole lot of clippings from the mountains (more on that shortly).

Friday, I lost no time diving into the holidays. After making a huge mess in the guest room with lights and assorted decorations, I slowly began carting things downstairs (to the sounds of the holidays on my "xmas mix" playlist wafting through the house, naturally).

I swapped out the centerpiece on the dining room table (still need pillar candles for those holders) and the porcelain balls on the teak console for this SWEET silver footed bowl with a scalloped rim and little snowflake cutouts that I nabbed at Collector's Market last year. I will be filling it with either pomegranates or clove-stuffed oranges and posting a picture soon. In the background, you can see the red and white tablecloth Mom got me a few years ago!The glass bowl got relocated to the coffee table and filled with these mercury glass balls from Anthropologie (a few years ago...been hanging on to 'em).The mantel got decked with a great fake garland (Michaels clearance, last year) and it looks way more awesome than the picture.Then I got into the crafty side of fun...wreath-making. Never done it before, but I clipped a bunch of holly and cedar branches off the trees in back and made two wreaths Friday and three today. I hung one on the bathroom door (below), the coat closet, and one on my office door. I have a few others I'm still undecided on where to place. They smell great!

Today, I informed Todd that this is my favorite time of year because it involves many of my favorite things: bad food, candy canes, decorating, presents, and rigging. It's likely that many of my old roommates will chuckle at this, given my inclination to install hooks and other creative storage devices in our houses. Anyway, I rigged the garland (see below) on mug hooks. The garland was strung from clippings gathered yesterday on our Christmas tree-picking expedition.
and here's the garland. I added cranberries after I took the picture.Speaking of....This is a picture of me with the tree. (For those wondering, yes, I wear that hat in public, and yes, people do tend to stare at me. Say what you will, but I stay nice and warm.) You buy a permit for $5, then head for the hills where you can cut down a tree. We went with our neighbors up the street, Wayne and Cody, and cut down our trees. It's a little on the sparse side, but they all were. I'm hoping once it's decorated, it'll look more filled out. The shape is perfect, though.I think that's enough Christmas cheer for one post. Stay tuned though, there's way more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment