Sunday, November 1, 2009

Playing with knives

This is what it looks like our our dining room window. The street sweeper actually came earlier that day. Talk about a thankless job.

It's officially fall here in Southern Oregon. Most of the trees' leaves have started changing color, late afternoons are chilly and nights even chillier, my office is crowded with potted plants that will be spending the winter indoors and we fired up the fireplace last night for the first time while we watched the Ducks wipe the floor with USC.

This afternoon I began work on fixing my office window. You might remember that it is falling apart...the glazing is cracked and old and the panes are dangerously close to just falling out. Naturally, I used a few how-tos from This Old House, located here and somewhere else I can't find. I scraped old paint and knocked off dry putty for an hour and a half or so, then cut myself with the very sharp knife I was using. I had it coming, though, and I've gotten pretty good at reacting quickly and calmly to accidental self-inflicted injury. Anyway, after that, the light was starting to fade and I was feeling pretty irritated, so I called it a day. Hopefully Trevor will be able to come and work on it sometime this week, while the weather's still sunny.
Last night, I worked on building a shoe rack for our "laundry room" (in theory it should be, but since we are still minus one washer and dryer, it gets quotes). I think it came out rather well, and it will definitely provide some much-needed relief from the shoe pileup. Cost: $7, not counting 2 hours labor.And another view...
Having Trevor's giant fancy new chop saw making it all but impossible to walk around the laundry room: not really priceless, but I'm glad he lead me borrow it.

No comments:

Post a Comment