Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Black (Walnut) Beauty

Last month, I finally made it to Rogue Pacific Lumber. I heard about it from the guy who owns Limestone Coffee in downtown Medford, because I chatted him up about the amazing slabs of wood they have for countertops at the coffee bar. He said they do a ton of reclaimed wood from all over the country. 
I adore reclaimed wood and quickly decided this was a place I needed to check out. After being taken around the lumber yard, I landed on this piece of black walnut (it's about twice as big as what you see on the countertop). Thought it'd make a great live-edge cutting board, and I was right. The grain is really beautiful, and the figuring in it doesn't come through well on "film" -- too bad. It's almost iridescent. 

All the oil is soaked in now so it's not shiny. I did about three heavy coats of mineral oil as a light finish, just a little something to protect against water soaking in. You can see how it's soaking in to the lighter wood on the right more than the darker stuff on the left.
I also had a little epiphany while I was looking at the $8 bottle of butcher block oil...I wonder if the mineral oil in the butcher block bottle in the woodworking section of Bimart is the same as the mineral oil in the pharmacy section of Bimart. A little googling indicated that it indeed was, so I picked up a $3 bottle of the other kind of mineral oil and used that. And that is just one of the many reasons I love Bimart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment