Thursday, February 5, 2009

Sort of after

Well, folks, I'm excited to present you with something of an "after" shot of the bathroom. Trevor grouted the tile last night, and it took another step toward being finished.  Here's the video:



And here are some pictures:
I was out and about yesterday, and used the fact that I had to drive past my favorite antique/resale store as an excuse to take a quick look around. My rationalization was rewarded with this! It's a nickel lamp with a nickel shade, and it has this great weathered quality about it. I looked at it in the store and thought "I would keep this forever," (cue Todd groaning) so I bought it. It's going to look great on the teak console that should be arriving today or tomorrow. Again, please disregard the shade of red the wall appears to be.  It's not accurate.

After having a good chuckle with a few people about this, I thought I'd make a note of it here. Back in November, and even more so in the months before we bought the house, I really, honestly believed that Todd and I would restore this house on our own. And mostly I'd be doing the work, because Todd has a job. Like, I thought I'd just throw in the office door and window one afternoon. In a week or so, I imagined I'd be done gutting and redoing the bathroom.

I was OUT OF MY MIND. I don't know exactly what possessed me to think these things. It has taken Trevor, a hardworking professional who not only has all the tools he needs to do things but actually KNOWS what he's doing, at least two weeks to get to this point in the bathroom. I also thought I was going to do the fireplace (ask Todd; I set a budget of approximately $200 for materials and told him I'd do it in a weekend, though I secretly thought it would take about four hours). Never mind the fact that the most experience with brick I'd ever had was sitting on the brick hearth my parents' fireplace has.

We couldn't even put up the crown molding in our bedroom without Trevor's help. If there was a distinct point that I lost Todd's belief in my remodeling fantasies, it was when he watched, looking incredulous in a pained sort of way, as Trevor did the work on the molding in about 15 minutes that it had taken us (and I kid you not about this) six hours to do on our own. Anyway, I think I was suffering from temporary insanity or something. HAH!!

No comments:

Post a Comment