Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Closing the door (or not)

After a ridiculous amount of monkeying around, we now have a new red door on our house. It looks really nice from the street (and I cleaned up the junk heap right after I took the pictures...not the best sequencing) but we are still having issues with it. I think our Kwikset lock is defective (or I'm defective, but I've successfully installed three other locks and deadbolts, so I don't think that's the case) so I'm not sure what we're going to do about that. I can tell you what I'm not going to do though--go back to Pacific Door and Sash. Here's my review of them: I don't think they know what they're doing. They're really nice guys, and good customer service is very important. But it's not just being nice. It's actually providing SERVICE, as in, doing things right. Three times they have screwed up, and at some point, you just start to wonder if anybody over there has a clue what they're doing.

More on the door: Trevor trimmed the sides with a fluted molding and the top with crown, something that I think is called "dentil" which is sort of fitting because it looks like teeth, a bit. You can google it if you want to. It's dark out. It looks really nice, but now I think the arch/porch looks even more out of place than it did. We aren't sure what to do about it; it was an addition by the last owner, and while it's functional to have a covered front step, it's not in keeping with the character of a Cape Cod, and the rustic/country style is definitely not right. Add it to the list...

Anyway, I think I will go see Charlie, our buddy at Home Depot, and see if he can help. He's like our personal shopper; we walk in the door and Charlie takes us around the store to round up what we need. Love it.

1 comment:

  1. Joanna, this is gorgous. I have ALWAYS wanted to live in a house with a red door. Bella!

    ReplyDelete