Monday, March 9, 2009

What's new as of 3.8

Wow, we had a busy weekend. Here's the recap of what was accomplished last week...



Saturday was a beautiful spring day, and so Todd and his dad started on the gargantuan task of cleaning the pool. I spent the morning zipping around cleaning and picking stuff up. There always is stuff that needs to be put away. Scattered tools, boxes, just stuff. The great part is that it always has a home. There's a drawer, a cabinet, a closet...everything fits somewhere.

In the afternoon, we went to Bimart for plants. While the yard isn't ready (and probably won't be this season) for beds, I am something of an expert in potted gardening, after having about six square feet of garden space and a million potted plants in Pasadena. Pansies are great for this time of year, because they aren't bothered by a little frost overnight.

I also moved the rest of the greenhouse downstairs to my office, which I think Todd was relieved about. Now that he'll be using his office more, I think he'll want the desk space that was being used by four geraniums and a bougainvillea.

Sunday, it snowed. We took a tumble from a springy 65 to a windy 35, and unfortunately, the pool required another round of cleaning. Summer dreams don't come so easily when it is hailing. The contents of the neighboring oak tree had settled at the bottom of the pool, and every way we tried to get the leaves out kind of didn't work. The deep end is at least 12 feet deep, so not much reaches down there. We finally ended up saran-wrapping the pool vacuum hose to the shop vac, and trying to vacuum the leaves off the bottom of the pool. It was very hick, and I wish I had a video, but unfortunately we don't have one that shows the whole process. I left halfway through because I got so cold, and I'm not sure how it turned out.

Yesterday we also started the rather large project of priming and painting the whole upstairs. If you've watched the videos, you know it's covered in old, weird wallpaper, on top of fiberboard, which is like sawdust mixed with glue and pressed into wallboard. It wouldn't do well with the amount of moisture required to remove wallpaper (as in, it would probably crumble, leaving us with whatever lies in our cobwebby, semi-insulated attic) so we decided the least work-intensive way of remedying the issue was to paint.

Here's before:

And partway done:

Though it does look better already, we had to use an oil-based primer to avoid exposing the walls to said moisture, and it smells TERRIBLE. It took 20 minutes of being outside to get rid of the taste of permanent markers in my mouth. In general, I am a big fan of certain toxic smells: I could sniff boat exhaust all day, and nail salons give me the warm-and-fuzzies. This stuff is in a league all its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment