Thursday, January 22, 2009

Are you sick of the bathroom yet? I am.

In the past two days, the space that once housed the tub, toilet and vanity has started looking like it might actually be a bathroom once again. Yesterday Trevor laid cement backer-board on the floor, so the sub-floor is covered, and those chilly crawlspace drafts we loved so much have been eliminated. Here's how things are looking, as of this morning.


As things go, though, he had to bust out the window in the bathroom to replace it, so we covered one draft hole and made another. At least he's supposed to be done with that today.

The window (and the door/window combo in the office) presented some issues. The flashing is pretty deep underneath the siding, and apparently our house had gigantic (like 8-inch-wide) trim back when it had wood siding (it's now covered by aluminum, and the two layers is why we think we are sidestepping $300/month gas bills). I was only around for part of the window removal, but there was lots of grunting and muttering and cries of "oh, for the love!" so I got the idea it wasn't going the greatest.

On the topic of the window, Trevor dug it up at Lowe's...another hit! Without time to special-order one, we were going to have to go with one that was 4' high that someone had laying around, instead of the 3' that the current space is, which wouldn't be a problem, except that it had to go down, not up. So what I'm describing here would have been a 4x3.5' space, clear glass (as opposed to opaque for bathrooms), starting approximately a foot above where the tub ends, right in the middle of the shower to the back yard. I mean, the important thing is that your knees are covered while you're showering, so at least nobody sees that when they're looking through that back window. Yeah. Good thing we found the other one. We're planting some bushes that will both shade the air conditioner (thus reducing the load on it and allowing it to operate more efficiently) and obscure the view into the shower without blocking the light, which is so lovely from that southern exposure.

I put the second coat on the formerly green dresser (picture included).  In typical fashion, I was lazy and didn't paint the feet.  I don't even know why.  Now I have to figure out what to do about that.

I'm not going to say I'm crazy about the color, but I do like it. It's somewhat more gold than I would have liked, but I think it looks good with the blue. That's a good thing, because a) I am NOT sanding, priming and painting it again, and b) I am really excited about my vision for the dining room. (The plan is to put in a chair rail, paint an intense royal blue below the chair rail, paint Great Hall Cream above the chair rail, and then stencil this damask pattern in royal blue on the cream. Then crown molding, of course. Probably Behr Antique White like the rest of the house, but maybe something a little more true white.

No comments:

Post a Comment