Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Staying busy

Sorry I'm late on the update. That was prompt, wasn't it. Here it is:



This past weekend, Eric started the plumbing for the tub, toilet and sink. It was especially easy for him, because Trevor cut this convenient hole in the sub-floor:
We also discovered -- hold onto your hat for this one -- more asbestos tape.  I realize the true weight of this reference might be lost on you...we had an exceptionally, overzealously dedicated duct cleaner tell us that because of the small quantity of asbestos tape on some of our ductwork, we'd have to get the entire system redone, and, for some reason we still haven't figured out, move the newly installed furnace to the attic.  This was to the tune of $15,000, in his pocket, naturally.  We now joke about asbestos all the time, and provide charcoal respirators to all guests.  HA.


You may also notice in the shot above that the bathtub, the 600-pound-plus cast-iron tub, is gone. Boy, was that a beast to get rid of. It's sitting in the southeasterly quadrant of the picture to the right, after we kind of tipped it out the back door.

Our vanity is under construction right now, and I am extremely excited to see how it turns out.  I also picked up lighting for over the vanity yesterday, from -- shocker -- Lowe's.  (I usually have terrible experiences there, but I was desperate to not special-order our bath bar because our electrician is coming tomorrow.  Consequences of poor planning...)  Ours is a three-light, but (not surprisingly) Lowe's doesn't have that on their website.  Chrome is apparently "going out of style" so it's really hard to find. 

I'm also in the process of painting the green dresser. It's primed, and it's going to be Ralph Lauren's Great Hall Cream, which is also one of the dining room colors. It'll be my first try with this color, and I'm soooo excited to see how it looks. Since it's a metallic (!!) it doesn't exactly translate well onscreen. But it's a warmish champagne, minus the mid-80s Buick associations. It's going in the blue bedroom, and it is high priority to get done so that I can start moving some of my clothes out of the bookcase they've been living in for the past seven months.

Lastly, I'm pleased to announce that we gave the fireplace a first run on Friday.  To honor the legacy of the fireplace, we burned a cardboard box first.  Since the only wood we have at the moment is the green stuff I chopped down a few weeks ago, things didn't exactly go well after the cardboard flamed out.  It looked nice, though:


Yes, we do still have the Christmas tree up. It is bone dry, decidedly a fire hazard, but the room always looks so sad when it gets dumped. This is my first time having my own Christmas tree, and since it always depressed me to get rid of it, I'll do it when I'm good and ready. Or when Todd makes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment