Tuesday, January 27, 2009

If you give a mouse a cookie...

This morning I thought I'd put some of my clothes away and get the blue room organized, since my current method of getting dressed involves fishing through the gigantic pile of clothes on the floor and employing my sense of smell.  I'll say no more on that... other than it's one of the less convenient ways I've stored clothes over the years.  Anyway, with the green dresser painted and situated, I carted a few loads of clothes and clutter over to our house from Todd's parents', and started putting things away, naively thinking I'd be done by lunch.  

I then ran smack into what I'll call the "Sweater Phenomenon," also acceptably referred to as the "snowball effect," which seems to plague everything I try to do some days.  ("Sweater" comes from that Weezer song "If You Want to Destroy My Sweater" -- it's funny, you should check it out.)  The Sweater Phenomenon occurs when you want to accomplish one thing, for our purposes, putting away clothes.  In order to put away the clothes, you have to find the hangers, sort the clothes, and open the overhead built-in cabinets to store the summer clothes.  Since they're pretty high up, you go find the step ladder.  Upon opening said cabinets, you discover at least 30 years of dirt and cobwebs and other grot, the composition of which you are not interested in, but greatly relieved that you don't have to touch.  You go fetch the shop vac, and vacuum up the cobwebs.  Then, you go find the Fantastik, and a sponge, and a bucket of warm water, and wipe out the cabinets.  After all this, they still look dirty, so you stand on the step ladder and agonize for 10 minutes about whether to paint them, or just do it later, which is risky because it may never get done.  While standing and agonizing, you look out the window, which is still quite filthy because you still haven't razored the outside of the glass.  In order to do that, you have to trim back the bushes so you can get to the window.  Also, it's supposed to rain this afternoon, so forget outdoor jobs.  And so on.  Then, after you nearly fall off the step ladder, you decide to go have M&M's (and a salad) for lunch, and whine about the Sweater Phenomenon.

Maybe this afternoon will be better.  I'm not exactly optimistic, though.  This house is like one giant sweater.

1 comment: